Thursday, August 20, 2009

Music as a Shared Experience

I had a woman approach me after last night's Maxim Ludwig & The Santa Fe Seven show at the Hotel Cafe and say "You're his manager right?" in which I replied "Yes" She then said "Well then he should have played the last song earlier before that important person left" The only response I could muster at the time was something like ok, thanks for your input and I felt very dumbfounded by that remark. At the time I was upset but now after 24 hours of reflection I feel inspired, not because the "important person" left but rather that the last song inspired someone to the point that she was disappointed that individual didn't hear it. That's what music is suppose to do, particularly the live experience. Make you feel that you are witnessing something special and you get disappointed others aren't there to share the experience. I talked to that "important person" today who loved what Maxim did but to me the most important person in the room is the man or woman that gets so inspired by a song that they wish it could be shared to those they feel should hear it. When you're generating that type of response you know you're getting through to people with your music.

No comments:

Post a Comment