Monday, August 31, 2009

Artists Performing Albums Live In Sequence

Steely Dan wrapped up the Los Angeles stay of their tour called "Rent Party" at the Gibson Amphitheatre last week.   Over three nights they performed a different album in sequence (as well as other songs), choosing Aja, Gaucho, The Royal Scam in that order and on the fourth night they took internet requests from their fans.  This is becoming a common occurrence by artists these days and in some ways it seems like a way to play the market more than it should with a different angle. I'm torn as to whether I like this trend of artists performing their albums in sequence at their shows.   Although it offers fans a recall of a listening experience I look at it as more of a stunt on behalf of the band.  It does showcase some songs that may have never made it onto the setlist but on the other hand, I fear it takes away some of the spontaneity that I as a fan expect at a live show.  I think there are debates on both sides but I would love to hear your thoughts.  Do you think more artists should be doing this?  If so why or why not?

1 comment:

  1. I like when they do that. Saw the Pixies do it and it was great.

    ReplyDelete