Sunday, September 6, 2009

R.I.P. Skip Miller


I awoke to some sad news this morning learning that my friend, Skip Miller had died on Friday of cardiac arrest.  I met Skip under different circumstances than in the business.  We were neighbors and he and his wife would take evening strolls past our house with their dog while I would be out watching the children play.  After many social discussions, my wife said "Did you know Skip used to be the President of Motown?"  I had know idea the Skip that I had met, the one who I talked about street damage, dogs names, children, pressures of living in LA, etc. was the 'Skip Miller'.  What followed was a series of lunches where he opened up to me about his business dealings and most recently the passing of Michael Jackson, whom he had a relationship with and his family.  He was the closest person I knew to the Jackson world and his insight of what was going on offered me a perspective I would not had received anywhere else.  The changes in the business have brought about quite a bit of stress to those who had their footing in the old ways of doing it.  I'm hoping those stresses did not lead to his passing but it's hard not to think they didn't contribute.  Change affects many people and it's not always for the better.  I'll say a prayer today for my friend Skip Miller and his family knowing he's in a better place.  Although are time for knowing each other was short, R.I.P. my friend.

2 comments:

  1. Skip was a very dear friend of my family as well- My father Paul Gallis (Mid-West Independent record promoter) called me yesterday morning with the sad news. He was very shaken by the news. Skip also gave me my first promotion gig in Chicago in the late 80’s doing CHR tracking for Motown as well. Business played second as he was one of the greats and was a very caring and kind individual. To say he will be missed is an understatement. R.I.P. Skip it will be along time before you will be forgotten-
    Jimmy Gallis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fathers
    The Journey to the Grammys

    Written by
    Bobby Avila
    Inspired by many friends and family

    In Dedication

    I dedicate this book to a man who was part of our success, who took a chance and stepped out believing in us, even though the odds were against us, Angela Bibbs, Skips assistant also a believer, sent Skip Miller our tape to New York, Skip loved our music and wanted to sign us, my partner Lee Silver and Bobby Jr. and I walked into BMG/RCA to see Skip, Angela Bibbs greeted us and said Skip is expecting you, we all walked into his office, he was on the phone speaking to someone with his back facing us and turned around and told the person he was speaking too, said hold on, Skip said, do I have an appointment with you, I responded, yes, Skip said who are you, then I knew Angela didn’t send the picture along with the tape, I said this is Lee Silver my partner, Bobby Ross Avila Jr. I’m Bobby Sr., he looked at us with those big green eyes with a surprised look on his face and said I thought you were black, I said is that a problem, with a trembling voice, he said, well no and then a big smile came about and said I want to sign Bobby Jr., so we signed a production deal with BMG/RCA urban division, Skip saw talent and change and it started with him, he gave this Latino family a chance of a life time, he made the difference, even though we alway didn’t agree, I respected a wonderful and gracious man who was willing to take it to the next level, I will alway remember the intelligent tall man that had the big smile and the green eyes, that looked at you with ambition and promise and yes Skip Miller, you did have a part in my sons success and being awarded Grammies and where they are today. God Bless You and thank you so much Skip, I know in my heart the Lord God gave you your Grammy, job well done Skip.
    I know You will be deeply be missed, The Avila Family

    In Memory
    BMG/RCA
    Urban Division
    VP Skip Miller
    As we knew him

    ReplyDelete